IOM in the North Pacific at a Glance
IOM established its first office in the region in Majuro in May 2009. The opening of the sub-regional Head Office in Pohnpei followed a few months later. The FSM has been a member state since December 2011 and the RMI acceded to membership on 26 November, 2013.
Logistics/Security Operations Assistant-Chuuk
Position Title: Logistics/Security Operations Assistant (SVN/FM/2017/03-01)
Duty Station: IOM Chuuk Sub-Office, Federated States of Micronesia
Classification: General Staff Category, G5 Level, USD 843.17.00 net/month
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term, three months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: April 30, 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non- governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Party and under the direct supervision of the Chuuk Head of Sub-office, and in Coordination with RMO in Pohnpei, the incumbent will assist in the implementation of Logistics operations and appropriate measures for the safety and security of both IOM personnel and the delivery of relief and recovery assistance for the Typhoon Maysak response.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in the implementation of logistics, facilities maintenance, asset administration, and transport support within established internal control mechanisms.
- Deploy effective and reliable vehicles for transporting personnel, materials and equipment needed in programme implementation.
- Contribute to the implementation of permanent procedures for asset administration that are compliant to IOM’s general instructions, policies and donor requirements.
- Establish and monitor a tracking system for commodities, supplies, and equipment and project assets in the sub-office.
- Manage vehicle assignment and schedules ;coordinate regular maintenance of all vehicles and vessels, and ensures that they are registered, insured, etc.; arrange for repair of vehicles and vessels
- Advise staff and passengers on safe operating practices for vehicles and vessels
- Train and supervise the Drivers in Chuuk and ensure that they conform to established procedures.
- Provides security briefings and cultural orientation for new staff; provide regular security briefings and updates to staff
- Coordinate with the IOM Staff Security Unit (SSU) to support adherence to staff safety and security guidelines.
- Maintain relationships with Chuuk State and FSM National Police regarding security trends and areas of concern and, as required, ensure their capacity support during monitoring and delegation visits, and distributions of relief and reconstruction materials
- Oversees use of safety equipment and ensures protocols are followed ;Daily weather monitoring for boat safety;
- Advise staff on travel-related regulations and policies
- Maintains and provides incident reports (traffic accidents, safety/security incidents, etc.) ;Maintain regular coordination with United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) for exchange of security-related information;
- Maintain relevant records pertaining to the above responsibilities
- Undertake other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed Bachelor’s degree with three years of relevant professional experience
- Completed High School with five years of relevant professional experience
- Working knowledge of in emergency services, development, or disaster-related fields
- Experience working with government, non-governmental organization and/or international organization
- Understanding of logistical and human resource challenges faced in small island developing states
Fluency in English. Working knowledge of local languages of Chuuk an advantage
- Accountability- accept and give constructive criticism, follow all relevant procedures, processes, andpolicies, meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Client Orientation- identify the immediate and peripheral clients of own work, establish and maintaineffective working relationships with clients
- Continuous Learning- contribute to colleagues' learning, demonstrate interest in improving relevantskills
- Communication – actively share relevant information, clearly communicate, and listen to feedbackon, changing priorities and procedures
- Creativity and Initiative- proactively develop new ways to resolve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation - convince others to share resources, present goals as shared interests
- Performance Management - provide constructive feedback to colleagues, provide fair, accurate,timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Planning and Organizing - set clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self,and others, identify priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Professionalism - master subject matter related to responsibilities, identify issues, opportunities, andrisks central to responsibilities
- Teamwork - actively contribute to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment.Contributes to, and follow team objectives. Seek input and feedback from others. Actively support and implement final group decisions. Take joint responsibility for team’s work.
- Technological Awareness- learn about developments in available technology, proactively identifiesand advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Resource Mobilization- Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
How to apply:
From 20.04.2017 to 30.04.2017